Mazda RX-7 '89-'91 MAF -> aftermarket hotwire?

Seth Bibler chameleo at europa.com
Fri Aug 3 11:42:28 GMT 2001

Hello,

I wanted to see if you gurus on this list can help me out with this one.  I am
trying to figure out how to upgrade from the stock Mazda MAF (ND cone-style) to
an aftermarket 80mm (or bigger) hotwire MAF.  I guess a stock one from a Nissan
or something else would work, as long as I can make the signal translate.

Now, the Mazda MAF uses a 5 pin hookup...
TS - air intake thermosensor
E2 - bus (from ecu -> thermosensor)
E2 - bus (from ecu -> MAF pot)
     The E2 pins are bridged internally.
     Why there are two?  I don't know.
Vs - one side of the pot
     I'm guessing that this side connects to the fuel pump relay for safety.
Vc - the other
     This side should be connected to the ECU

Since it's a pot the ECU is simply measuring the resistance/voltage change.

The problem is I don't know what values translate to what output (no map), and I
don't have a flow bench to figure that out.  Then the other unknown is does a
hotwire's output work similarly?  What has to be done to translate/convert the
signal?

I'm guessing that someone has done this before, but if not then I'd be willing
to sort through the problems.

Also, if anyone has a good link to information on this topic I'd greatly
appreciate it.

Thank you!

Seth