Ign Advance on MR-2

Diehl, Jeffrey jdiehl at sandia.gov
Sun Aug 12 06:56:11 GMT 2001

I think you've communicated the main problem for me.  I need to understand
how the ECU "knows" the engine position.

If the ECU were a digital computer, I could imagine a fast clock and a
counter which was latched at the passing of each tooth in the 4-tooth wheel.
This count could be used to calculate RPM and the clock could be used to
trigger the firing of the next injector/sparkplug.  But the ECU in the MR-2
doesn't seem to be that sophistcated.  Looks to be a completely analog
system!

I guess this same algorithm could be done in analog...  Is that how it
works?

Thanx,
Mike Diehl.