Batch EFI on Siamesed Port Motors

marcel chichak chichm at telusplanet.net
Fri Aug 17 00:10:25 GMT 2001

At 09:18 AM 17/08/2001 +1000, Peter Gargano wrote:

>I'm after thoughts on a practical problem of adding EFI to SOME
>vehicles with siamesed inlet ports of a certain configuration.
>
>A Mini has an IGN firing order of 3-4-2-1 (ie. 1-3-4-2) and inlet
>ports 1-2 and 3-4 are siamesed. ...

Peter, I'm running square on into this problem as we spEak. I've got the
inlet manifold built and a DTA 'puter ready to go but I've been side
tracked preparing the MK II Cortina for next year's rally season. How DTA
suggest they can get around the problem is by running it as a 2 stroke, ie
the injectors fire every crank revolution.

I'm spEaking with a bloke in UK who's running into problems with his
injected turbo Mini and through a bunch of thinking I may have solved the
problem. I'm writing up a tech paper about it right now and all I need is a
few minutes in the shop to get some fine details about how much 'stealing'
the inside cylinders do. I *think* it can be made to work but essentially
all the fuel has to go into the outside cylinders while the valve is open.
Anything intended for that cylinder that is deposited in the port is eaten
up by the inside cylinder. The inside cylinder charge is deposited partly
in the port and partly down the valve as it opens.

I've prepared illustrative valve timing diagrams and 3-D maps with a time
domain ceiling under which the fuel map has to live. I might have all that
together and up on my web page (below) by early next week. I'll also be
sending it to DTA for their take on it.

One of the key things I need is the size of injector used by the TPI Mini.
No one has been able to come up with either a part number or a flow rate.
I'll keep after it.

Contact me off the list so we can chat about where you are with your
project and maybe we can help each other?

--Marcel Chichak    chichm at telusplanet.net
	Edmonton Alberta Canada, eh?
  Peek into my world: www.planet.eon.net/~chichm