Air flow meter

Chris Waltham chris at harvestroad.com
Tue Aug 21 01:36:32 GMT 2001

>One of the guys here at work is an ex industrial designer from Holden,
>and he was telling me that the 5.7L Commodore engine was extremely
>choked when it arrived in the standard trim from USA.  The first thing
>Holden did was throw away the throttle body and airflow meter to gain
>some significant hp (although couldn't tell me how many).  The apparent
>reason for choked intake is due to lack of traction control on the US
>cars with this engine (can someone verify this ??).  Holden just
>automatically fits traction control to anything high power so that
>solved the wheel spin problems.

I'd be interested to see exactly which cars the LS1 engine is fitted
to in the USA - I can't remember which ones off the top of my head,
but as I said before, I think that the Corvette is *not* one of the
cars that comes with it. Who knows, perhaps GM fits the LS1 to
a Monte Carlo or something ;)

That said, haven't there been some issues w/ LS1s in regards to oil
pumps failing? Or something along those lines..

Chris

>Dan dzorde at erggroup.com
>

><Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 21:01:41 -0400
><From: "Bruce" <nacelp at bright.net>
><Subject: Re: Air flow meter
><
><Popular, and in some cases, a waste of money.  There are more then just
><couple guys hot over having spent some big money on the aftermarkets
>and
><slowed down.
><  In theory a reduction in intake tract restriction should show an
><improvement, but you have to be careful of other considerations.  ie,
>does
><it effect reproted airflow, and hence mixture, and timing.  Is it just
><correcting a wrong, or actually doing something good.
><  I've tried them (late MAFs), with and without screens, and airfoils,
>and
><the 3.5 in a 3.0 housing.  As far as performance goes, in my
>application the
><3.5 in a 3.0 with the screens, and the airfoil, and supports removed
>were
><the hot set up.  That setup also was the best  in drivibility.
><Bruce

Chris Waltham
Systems Administrator
HarvestRoad, Limited.