WB Board Assembly

Bruce nacelp at bright.net
Tue Aug 28 16:58:05 GMT 2001

While not new to soldering, I have done some, and started on my WB this
morning.  For those of you new to PCB just a few notes.

This boards are easy to solder to.
Use .020 or .015 solder, and a pencil soldering iron.  This aint't like
harness repair work.  A 15w (I think that's what mine is), is just fine.
Get good solder, and you don't need any flux.  Flux and cleaning it up can
be a royal PITA.
take your time, and check off everything as you go.
Just work for a while and walk away.
I found some slightly magnifing glasses at the store the other day, and they
make it alot easier to see all em dodads.
Bright light.  I have 2, 75w bulbs shining right on the board to be able to
see things really well.
A soldering station is worth the outlay.  Found mine at a yard sale for $15.

Be sure to use enough heat that the solder flows out, and after it cools it
should look shiny.

If you want to know what the soldering should look like when your done, just
crack open the case on your ecm.  Granted they use a different process, so
all the joints are more uniform, but the size and shininess are what your
after.

And have your ohmmeter handy to make sure you get the resistors right.
HTH
Bruce