wide band O2 senso and Bosch questions

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Fri Aug 31 01:47:47 GMT 2001

Greg Hermann tapped away at the keyboard with:

> At 2:58 PM 8/30/01, Camden Lindsay wrote:
> >I hope this is not looked at as a waste of bandwidth/etc...
> >I will say what i've heard, although it isn't mutch
> >--I would guess it is a "about to be introduced"-- but i have read that some
> >japanese manufacturers are using it in japan (isuzu, i think..).. and i have
> >also read that the US's gas has too much sulfur in it to make DInjection
> >possible (road and track i think-- about 1.5 years ago)
> >--Of course, this may all be hogwash
>
> Not a waste of bandwidth at all. I know a fair bit about the
> Orbital stuff from Perth. (Air boosted direct injectors.)

The air-boosted system has the notional advantage of droplet-shear,
resulting in a finer mist to vapourize. The expense and complexity
of an air pump is a known disadvantage.

It's more likely that Siemens would exploit its relationship with
Orbital (Synerject) and move an air-boosted system closer to
production, partly because of the compound injector/spark plug
allowing engine designers more space for valves in the head.

Audi had to go to 4 valves (from 5) on their DI engines. There's an
Audi A4 with direct injection just released (or about to be) in
Germany. It has 16 valves in the 2-litre engine.

> It would appear that Bosch is taking (or is about to take) some
> form of direct injection a bit more mainstream.

> Was wondering whether they are using air boost, or hydraulic
> multiplication, as in Navistar IH and the power stroke
> diesels---or something different yet??

There's a separate hi-pressure fuel pump.

I've snipped some details from VW Press releases. See below
signature.

The need for low-sulphur fuels is due to the catalytic converter
technology; at lean-burn, the NOx storage cat would be contaminated
with sulphur; a burn-off of the contamination would require running
fuelling at stoich or richer, negating the benefits of lean-burn.
The life of the cat is also affected.

More details soon...

--
Bernd Felsche - Innovative Reckoning, Perth, Western Australia

VW Press Release Th 2000/11/02
Fuel Stratified Injection

At last year's IAA motor show in Frankfurt, Volkswagen presented its
new LUPO FSI with a direct-injection fuel-engine. This model uses 25
percent less fuel than a conventional car. A good 15 percent is due
to the FSI technology alone. The remaining 10 percent saving is the
result of carefully-planned weight-saving design.  Innovative
materials and advanced engine technology limit the average fuel
consumption to less than 5l/100 km - an impressive achievement
given a power output of 77 kW and a peak torque of 130 Nm.

More VW Press Mo 2000/09/04
Lupo FSI Launches New Era for Petrol Engine

With a maximum speed of close to 200 km/h, Lupo consumes a mere 4.9 l
of fuel per 100 km

Most environment-friendly fuel-stratified injection engine
In November, Volkswagen introduced Germany's first stratified-charge
gasoline direct injection engine. The name of the car: Lupo FSI.
Paving the way for a new generation of extremely economical,
low-emission petrol engines, its average mileage is 4.9 litres per
100 km (MVEG standard). In comparison with other automobiles of its
class, the Lupo FSI offers up to 30 percent more economy.
Given its direct injection technology and cutting-edge exhaust
treatment, the Lupo FSI is more than just a new variation within a
successful range; it marks the starting point for a new phase in
petrol-engine construction.

For the initial phase of conversion from conventional multi-point to
fuel-stratified injection, Volkswagen chose an engine that it also
uses for the Polo and Golf production series: the EA 111 series, 1.4
litre four-cylinder engine. The essential advantage is that the new
FSI technology need not be restricted to the Lupo alone, but can be
adapted for mass-quantity use in the two immediately higher
vehicle-size classes.  [i.e. Polo and Golf]

Volkswagen's choice of FSI technology combined with a method of
exhaust treatment that, for the most part, is absolutely new
guarantees considerable advances in the way of ecology. A new (fully
electronic) monitored system of exhaust treatment (per on-board
diagnosis) ensures that any pollutants generated by the FSI engine
are completely converted to non-toxic gases. Exhaust gas is purified
by a three-way catalyst, an NOx accumulated catalyst and an NOx
sensor (a worldwide first). A common rail system executes direct
fuel injection. Powered by 100-bar pressure, fuel is injected
directly into the combustion chamber via the respective
electromagnetic injector, so that the intervals between fuel supply
- in keeping with the stroke of the cylinder - can be precisely
defined, as can the time required for the fuel-and-air mix.

The Lupo FSI is standard-fitted with an automated five-speed direct
shift gearbox. This gearbox has also been used for the Lupo 3L TDI.
It enables ideal shift points (in Eco mode) so as to keep fuel
consumption to an absolute minimum. To make use of the engine's full
power potential, drivers can switch to Sport mode or shift gears
manually using the Tiptronic feature.

[snip]

The vehicle's driving properties actively correspond with those
criteria. Neutral handling, standard four-channel ABS, electronic
stability programme (ESP), likewise standard in Germany, and robust
disc brakes provide driving support even in adverse situations.
But the Lupo FSI is not just a veritable technology carrier, it is a
compact-class car that offers a high degree of quality and comfort.
Whether for short- or long-distance travel (680 km range with a
34-litre tank) or inner-city commuting, passengers will enjoy the
comfort and the safety of the car.

[snip pricing etc]