DIY-WB

Frank F Parker fparker at umich.edu
Wed Aug 1 02:44:58 GMT 2001

> But here's a question: what do you guys set for your logging sampling
> frequency? My logger isn't a high-end one, so it doesn't allow different
> rates for selected channels, just the same rate for all. So what would
> you recommend would be the highest sample rate I would need for anything?
> I plan on logging TPS, MAP, RPM, AFR, EGT, FP, and others I can't think
> of right now. :)  Would 300hz per signal be adequate do you think? (and
> yes, I'm familiar with the Nyquist rate, but I'm looking for practical
> experience type answers, not merely theoretical ones. :)  Tnx for input.
>
> Brian

I have done data logging for a number of years on various GM race
programs and generally you are fighting memory size vs number chans vs
time necessary for a session vs data rate. In general, the slow stuff like
temps we do at 10Hz, others at 50 Hz and use high rates for suspension
pots where even tho the ride freq are a few Hz and the Nyquist equation
would lead you to think that 10-20 Hz is OK, you need several hundred Hz
cause at 180 mph, the car is going 264 ft/sec so u neeed fast rate to
pick up small tack variations.

I used my logger at rates from 10-50 for tuning in the SpeedPro on my
Typhoon when I compared the wb sensor of the Sp to a seperate NTK wband
and various other sensors like tps, fuel press, turbine back pressure, etc

regards,

frank parker