Soldering Techniques

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Tue Dec 4 01:14:18 GMT 2001

David LaRoe tapped away at the keyboard with:

> First reply from a person who really knows how to solder!  Carter
> uses a 15W heating element while I use a 12W when I can still find
> them.  In extremes, when soldering to a ground plane, I might go
> as high as a 20W element.

Soldering larger components (larger diameter leads; especially
large-pin connectors) may require more power. A 50W iron, or one
that can give you a "burst" of power when needed, is nice to have.
Small iron is good for normal PCB work. Using two irons is no
problem as you mount the components in a particular order anyway;
connectors (unless they're going to get in the way), resistors,
capacitors and finally semi's.

Of course, one should inspect the PCB before mounting the
components, checking for bridges and other defects. If in doubt, use
a meter to check continuity/discontinuity.

Do your best to check the values of components as you lay them out
for assembly. Wash them if it's possible that they've been handled.
This is nothing to do with hygiene; solder doesn't work well with
oily surfaces.

> For disordering, using a solder sucker is ok but it is a skill
      ^^^^^^^^^^^
Disorder happens all by itself. :-)

> operation.  Practice,, practice on surplus parts prior to
> attempting your first real board.

Also useful to practice soldering on another cheap kit; especially
when you haven't done it in a while.

> Soldering on harnesses is no longer allowed by Mil Spec or NASA.
> Too much of a chance of have a cold solder joint or wicking of the
> inserted wire.  Acquire a good crimping tool for the  size pins
> you are using and do "pull tests" once in a while for your own
> quality control. ..............

Do it 100% of the time. Better that it comes apart during assembly
than service.

Although it looks odd, you can wear some disposable cotton gloves
when handling the board and components to be soldered. You will lose
some dexterity. The alternative is not to handle the surfaces to be
soldered; using pliers to bend leads for insertion and tweezers to
hold parts during soldering.

> Dave

[snip]

--
Bernd Felsche - Innovative Reckoning, Perth, Western Australia