Intake manifold construction, intercoolers

Rausch, Bernd br at rnt.de
Tue Dec 4 08:05:23 GMT 2001

Thanks for the responses I got, I have some additional questions:

At the moment, I have an air/air intercooler per side (twinturbo V
engine). I have per side: three 90deg bends, about 2m piping, two
intercooler mandifolds with 90deg bends and four silicone hoses.

I am thinking of welding an air/liquid intercooler core from Spearco
directly in the intake plenum. The throttle body will be upstream of the
intercooler. With this construction I can exit the turbo in a straigt
line, with an expanding pipe of about 0.4m to the throttle body. I will
only need one hose (turbo has a flange at the outlet). This setup will
save me five 90deg bends, 1.6m piping, three silicone hoses and two
manifolds at the intercooler per side.

      TB   IC     intake runners
       |---------|------------|
       |   ||    |------------|
-------|   ||    |
 ->    /   ||    |------------|

-Is there any downside of this setup ?
-How do I calculate intake plenum volume ? Only the volume on the
downstream side of the intercooler or the complete plenum including
intercooler ?

Any help would be appreciated.
Bernd