Intake manifold construction, intercoolers

Bruce nacelp at bright.net
Tue Dec 4 14:42:08 GMT 2001

From: "Jörgen Karlsson" <jorgen.m.karlsson at home.se>
Subject: RE: Intake manifold construction, intercoolers
> Bruce wrote:
> > Any intercooler that you use in the plenum, would either be too
> > small to be
> > effective, or need fluids that are really cold.  you'll also be losing
the
> > surface area of the piping for heat transfer.
> I don't agree about the size of the intercooler, check the efficiency of
the
> stock syclone intecooler when it is used with a good heat exchanger and a
> pump that runs all the time. All cars that I have worked with has had
> problems with the pipes actually heating the charge, for me it is obvious
> use pipes that isolate the charge from the hot under hood air. Stainless
> steel and plastic are my favorites.

Look at the room they had to package things in.
For the added weight and complexity, I'd say a air to air as in the GNs was
a much better solution.  Once you heat soak a syclone, your done for a
while, there is just so much more mass with an air to water system to cool
off.   Again, with way things are with some engine compartments, there is so
little air flow thru them, that the plumbing in that case might heat soak.

> > With the in plenum cooler,
> > you also be exposing it to the heat of the manifold, thru all it
> > mounts, and
> > you libel to losing alot  of cooling effect to cooling the
> > manifold.
> I forgot to mention that, it is very important to isolate the plenum. The
> plenum should be thermally isolated from the head, silicone hoses can be
> used to connect the separate runners to the plenum. This will be a massive
> piece and it will probably have to be removed for any work in the engine
> compartment. Stainless steel runners is also a good option. Isolation of
the
> intake from the engine is good on all port injected cars. It is a good
idea
> to isolate it from the air in the engine compartment too.

Again, your talking specifics to the syclones.  I can draw under hood air,
and do just fine.   Isolating things can be taken to the point of no return.
While all that will generate in theory be really nice, alot of it loses it's
meaning in day to day use, now if your branching off into specific race car
duty, then that is another case.