Intake manifold construction, intercoolers

Jörgen Karlsson jorgen.m.karlsson at home.se
Wed Dec 5 12:27:40 GMT 2001

Bruce,

I agree with your comments about heat soaking intercoolers on Syclones, the
biggest problem as I see it is that they heat soak in the staging line. With
a proper heat exchanger the intake temperature will decrease with speed. My
comment about high engine compartment temperatures and the need for
isolation of intercooler plumbing and the water intercooler itself could
have been about Syclones, but it really was about Audis.

I think that you would look at insulation on an other way if your car lost
50-75hp after ten minutes in the staging line.

Trust me, I agree that a air to air intercooler is the way to go, as I see
it a water to air intercooler is for the dragstrip and only if it is filled
with ice water. I am building a small secondary water to air intercooler for
my car, that will only have a water volume in the boot and the pump will
only run to cool the charge after during staging and the pass itself. During
ordinary driving and on on road tracks the water intercooler will be cooled
by the air from the air-air intercooler, it will cool the charge when in
power and will heat the charge while not under boost.

Having the water intercooler after the throttle body would probably help to
cool the water when the throttle is closed or only opened a bit. After
driving 200miles in a carburated car with a cold air intake yesterday I know
all about how 5ºC air with high humidity responds to the pressure drop over
the throttle blade...

Jörgen