Intake manifold construction, intercoolers

Bruce nacelp at bright.net
Wed Dec 5 23:05:04 GMT 2001

From: "James Montebello" <jamesm at undeadminion.bom.conru.com>
Subject: Re: Intake manifold construction, intercoolers
> Thanks for completely omitting the section of my post where I discussed
> the other compromises, Bruce. :-)

Was just trying to tighen up what I wanted to blather about.
Hmm, I thought I had included a brutal snippage comment, but in double
checking, it's not there, that was an error.

> Yes, all things include compromises.  My point was, ONE tradeoff in the
> "one big plenum" approach v. an IR setup is simplicity v. throttle
> response.  There are other tradeoffs.  One big plenum not only makes the
> throttle construction easier, but it also allows you to use MAP without
> heavy filtering (or a MAP plenum).  It allows you to use MAF if you
> desire, unless you make another plenum "above" the throttles in the IR
> setup, where you get the nice airflow without the compromise of losing
> throttle response.
> None of this is new.  IR setups were around decades ago.  I've driven cars
> that were swapped between single plenum/single-throttle setups and IR
> setups.  Throttle response is most definitely improved, so it's not just
> theory.  However, the IR setup is more complicated in many ways.  Whether
> its all worth the effort is up to the guy spending the money.

But, when worded like this it apprears you stating it as a universal truth.
I have no doubt that in some applications there perferred compromises.

> And while you're blathering about drivetrain theory, you should mention
> CVT, where you can tune for a very high but narrow torque peak using 30-50
> year old knowlege to get >150hp/liter out of a two-valve setup, and let
> the CVT hold it on that torque peak.  Nice, once someone figures out how
> to deliver 500+lb/ft through a CVT.  Audi seems to have figured out
> 250lb/ft.  Of course, now we've traded off a simple engine for a
> complicated transmission.

I just find myself limited to what's actually available.  Life's just
complicated enough handling what we have already without further
complicating things with what ifs.
Bruce

 Note:  The sender is not responsible for your interest or lack thereof in
the contents of this posting.  The Warning is included in part to ensure
that people who ARE NOT LIKE ME are in no way offended or disadvantaged.