Cam position sensing w/o a cam sensor

Craig Dotson crdotson at vt.edu
Wed Dec 5 20:50:59 GMT 2001

> How about using one of the valve rockers for a reference and the
> crank for intermediate?

If their motorcycle engine is anything like the one I'm working with, it
lacks "valve rockers."  The DOHC directly drives the valve as the cam
follower is a cap installed on top of the valve stem.

The engine we just acquired is a CBR600 F4i.  It has a factory magnetic
reluctor cam sensor.  I haven't pulled the valve cover to see how it works
yet, but it is located on the non-driven side of the cam and the wires exit
through a rubber grommet between the head and the valve cover.  Engines the
team used prior to the F4i (the F4, F3, and at one time I believe an F2) all
used a Haltech with phase-sequential injection and waste-spark ignition
using two coils.

Craig Dotson
crdotson at vt.edu
2002 VT FormulaSAE