Intake manifold construction, intercoolers

James Montebello jamesm at undeadminion.bom.conru.com
Wed Dec 5 21:09:51 GMT 2001

This is true, but with one big caveat, already mentioned several times:
throttle response with one "big-arsed" plenum and one throttle will be
pretty awful.  The entire volume must change before each intake valve
"sees" the change being demanded by the driver.  An IR setup with a
throttle per cylinder, however, will have excellent throttle response,
simply because the volume between the throttle and the valve(s) will be
small.  However, a multi-throttle setup is more complicated to put
together and keep operating than one with only one or two throttles. So,
the compromise is two plenums, each relatively small, and two throttle
bodies.  Reasonably good throttle response, and reasonably good flow.
Not as good as an IR setup, but a lot less complicated.

james montebello