Flame on

Bruce nacelp at bright.net
Thu Dec 6 13:13:04 GMT 2001

From: <bill.shurvinton at nokia.com>
Subject: RE: Flame on
> Bruce,
> you did that on purpose didn't you. I mean the fact that noone could
> ever agree what consitutes good performance or reasonable price anyway.

I wasn't looking for a list full of agreement.   Only to reign the
conversation in the terms of reality.  Sure there will always be some clown
that thinks a million bucks is a resonable figure.  But I would expect most
resonable folks to draw their own lines in the sand of what they call
resonable, based on what they can afford, not someone else.  To make a point
of what someone else does is playing in the Alice in Wonderland, mind set,
IMO.

> Anyway it's not Lotus fault that they designed a lovely modern multicam
> etc engine for said car and then noone could cast it in great enough
> numbers to make it viable in production ;-)

Then why bother?.
People can day dream all they want about design aspects, and such, which is
fine, but to make a point about what is right, better, etc with no
practicality, is again a game.

> Personally I am more cynical. The reason that a lot of the modern dodads
> have not been fitted to cars is because the car makers didn't need to.
> Whilst legislation doesn't force it, and cars do the gas milage that
> meets expectations, why change.

Marketing,  how much are you willing to pay for the dodads?.  Legislation
has been tne driving force to what manufacturers have to acheive.  If you
examine the EPA's strategy, evey thing they do tightens the noose around the
new car manufacturers.  There was a time when a smog alert,  meant that it
was really healthier to stay indoors, now adays you can hardly tell it's a
bad air day.  You can force regs so tight, that you can drive manufacturers
profit margins down, and given time bankrupt their engineering departments.
Remember when Dodge had to run Delco systems on their cars?.
   If you want better dodads, fine, just remember that adds to prices you
have to pay for the car, and not everyone is going to agree with you on what
a resonable cost increase is for said dodads.

> Of course now in Europe there is this 'average' economy across the model
> range which will force a lot of these ideas out of the lab and onto the
> street.
> My particular fave is the VW variable compression head which goes from
> 14:1 lean burn to 8.5:1 forced induction. Hats off if they can get that
> to be reliable.

I'd rather see the effort put into coming up with better *universally
applicable dodads*, so that the world might benefit from the efforts.
Variable compression, doesn't impress me in the least, but, I'm not a member
of the dodads at any price club.

In the real world there is a difference from gee what can we do, to hmm, how
well can we solve this problem.
Bruce
   Flames are in the eyes of the beholder.