Intake manifold construction, intercoolers

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Fri Dec 7 14:50:32 GMT 2001

Greg Hermann tapped away at the keyboard with:
> At 3:42 PM 12/7/01, Mos wrote:
> >On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Bruce wrote:
> >> Marketing.
> >> The best performing Reasonably priced car in the world today still uses an
> >> OHV engine.
> >
> ><delurk>
> >What is this "best performing Reasonably priced car" that you speak so
> >highly of?
> >
> >> Most of the turbo'd engines in production cars are based on
> >> bits the manufacturer has laying around.   The only reason for
> >> multi-valves etc., is due to rules, in the street world it's
> >> the EPA, in racing it's displacement.

> >Please correct me if I'm wrong - EFI came from EPA, as opposed to
> >multi-valve coming from EPA.

> You are wrong, in part, Moe. Multi valve on street engines came
> from EPA (and CAFE) rules, every bit as much as EFI and ALSO SOHC
> and DOHC has.

> Multi valves make higher valve velocities possible--which allows
> reasonable lift values with short duration--directly related to
> both emissions and CAFE-- and SOHC and DOHC not only tend to allow
> higher valve velocities, but also facilitate variable valve
> timing--which are also emissions and CAFE induced features as far
> as street motors are concerned .

Which must come as a hell of a shock to the likes of Alfa Romeo,
Porsche, Jaguar, Mercedes, etc. who used those particular bits of
technology to gain a competitive edge (in more ways than one) and
to set themselves apart from the crowd.

Engineers tend to like to make something better than what already
exists. Well, Engineers worth their salt.