Intake manifold construction, intercoolers

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 7 15:15:42 GMT 2001

>> You are wrong, in part, Moe. Multi valve on street engines came
>> from EPA (and CAFE) rules, every bit as much as EFI and ALSO SOHC
>> and DOHC has.
>
>> Multi valves make higher valve velocities possible--which allows
>> reasonable lift values with short duration--directly related to
>> both emissions and CAFE-- and SOHC and DOHC not only tend to allow
>> higher valve velocities, but also facilitate variable valve
>> timing--which are also emissions and CAFE induced features as far
>> as street motors are concerned .
>
>Which must come as a hell of a shock to the likes of Alfa Romeo,
>Porsche, Jaguar, Mercedes, etc. who used those particular bits of
>technology to gain a competitive edge (in more ways than one) and
>to set themselves apart from the crowd.
>
>Engineers tend to like to make something better than what already
>exists. Well, Engineers worth their salt.

Perhaps I should have said "mass market" cars, rather than "street" cars.

Not to mention that competent engineer/tuners are quite capable of making
Weber DCOE/IDA carbys perform at least as well as EFI !

Also, not to mention that Jag's competitive advantage came virtually
entirely from being the first to adopt the use of disc brakes in
competition!

Greg (raced an Alfa Guilia Spider Abnormale and tuned a GTZ for years,
both of which were very quick indeed (especially the TZ), but both of which
also lost REGULARLY to pushrod motored Cobras--- although NOT to Porsh*ts)
(Also once had a pal who was a member of Ecurie Ecosse, if you want to
argue the particulars of Jags !)