Intake manifold construction, intercoolers

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 7 19:08:59 GMT 2001

At 5:14 PM 12/7/01, bill.shurvinton at nokia.com wrote:
>Now we have strayed into market expectations.
>
>In US, those who owned their first cars before 1974 had BIG engines, low
>revs, autos, megatorque etc. In Europe we had piddly little 750cc side
>valves with 4 speed manuals. Added to which driving styles are very
>different, as the roads are very different. Upshot being, at least in
>Europe, we like 4-pot screamers.
>
>Or to put it another way, In UK we  don't get it about the 'vette. In US
>they don't get it about the Lotus 7. Crass oversimplification, but a
>kernel of truth
>
>I believe that ya pays and ya takes ya choice. Having lived in the USA,
>I now understand 'vettes, harleys and boat-like suspension
>
>Bill

We also seem to have neglected to mention that the near confiscatory
displacement taxes, such as are common in Europe and Japan (and which are,
no doubt, a product of the Labor/Commie Party Axis) present every bit as
real an artificial displacement limitation as many racing formulas do !

Large displacement, compactly packaged, torquey engines with tall gears
tend to win in most categories, both performance and economic. Including
first cost, durability, and  acceleration. Fuel economy over long distances
is on a par with small engines, the one weakness is idling in heavy
traffic--but lots of power accessories, as is commonly the case in the US
market, tends to even this one out as well.

If you think power (or torque) to weight ratio is a problem for the classic
US large displacement V-8 design, look into some of the most fully
developed iterations of the breed, such as the Buick 455 or the Cad 500 !!!

Greg