Spark plugs

Bruce nacelp at bright.net
Fri Dec 7 21:29:22 GMT 2001

From: "Bob Tom" <tigers at bserv.com>
Subject: Re: Spark plugs

> >--SNIP--  The center electrode can hold just enough heat
> >that in some transistional stuff (tip-in detonation / ping), and
> >some conditions of WOT trigger a slight amount of detonation.
> I would be interested in reading about these WOT conditions
> as I have, once in a blue moon, had a couple of slight detonations
> on a run just as I'm approaching the finish line (using Autolite 3923,
> one range colder than normal, and gapped to .035 from the normal
> .040 on a stock ignition).  I was thinking that I might be maxing
> out the injector's duty cycle.

*Generally* when people say they think they are out of injector, they are.
<g>     You'll need some way of looking at what your duty cycle is to see
where you are.  If you getting into the 90% DC, (depending on rpm), you very
well might be having an injector starting to hang as it cycles.

> >Lots of reasons, but usually from running too small of injector,
> >and running out of AE.  Often folks just look at injector
> >sizing as a function of BSFC, and totally miss the AE stuff.
> >Or get cought up in the lean as possible mode, and then any
> >variance in fuel fubar's things.   Bruce

> AE = ?  Sorry, got lost here.

Accleration Enrichment.

> Thanks for your post(s) on this thread ... very informative.

Welcome
Bruce