Chevy 383 Stroker

Ken Richardson krichar at ns.sympatico.ca
Fri Dec 7 22:25:43 GMT 2001

My Uncle has just built a 383 stroker for this '91 Camaro. The car use to
have a 305 multi-port injected engine, speed density system. He installed a
high volume intake system, headers, cam, injectors, etc. I'm going to burn
him a new EPROM for the ECM but I don't think what I'm going to send him
will fix his immediate problem. The problem.... When the engine warms up
(ie. closed loop) it will not idle very smooth at all, it surges as in
almost stalls then revs to 2000 RPM. It just keeps oscillating back and
forth. It did this with the 305 chip as well as a new 350 chip. A cold
engine runs fine. Ideas?

Now, I'm going to send him a chip calibrated for the new injectors and
cylinder displacement. After that we're going to work with the oxygen sensor
to get the fuel mapping right. No problem, I can handle this, but I'm at a
loss for the problem I mentioned above. Should I send him a calibration with
closed loop disabled? I would rather not run the engine this way.

Anybody here work with a stroker before?

Thanks
Ken R.