Intake manifold construction, intercoolers

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Sat Dec 8 03:43:32 GMT 2001

Gary Schaumberg tapped away at the keyboard with:
> Arnie responded with:

> Greg Hermann wrote:
> > >That must be the reason why Corvettes outsold Golf GTIs by a factor
> > >of 1000:1 in Europe. Ohhh... hang on... the other way around.
> > >
> > Uh Huh. Let's see you present how much it would cost in import duties,
> > registration fees, and insurance, Vette v. GTI in Europe.

Greg: It costs as much to insure a GTI in Germany as it costs to
buy a 'vette in the US. Well, it seems like it anyway! :-)

> Guys I'm confused.  Please help me out.  What does the topic you are
> discussing have to do with manifold construction or intercoolers?

IIRC, here's the gist:

Start: Question about manifold with integral intercooler for a V6 twin-turbo.
--> Suggestion to throttle the runners individually for throttle response
 --> Suggestion that it's overly complex and too complex to implement
  --> Description of simple construction and reference examples
 --> Suggestion that air-liquid intercooler was too esoteric
  --> Reference examples of high-performance cars using such in production
   --> Suggestion that such cars are irrelevant and "exotic"
    --> Reference to base technologies having been in use for over 25 years
     --> Suggestion that EFI was only brought about by EPA requirements