Mass Market EFI (was: Intake manifold construction, intercoolers)

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 8 14:11:20 GMT 2001

 Just was saying that both venues have artificial
>> displacement restrictions. Of a different sort, but the same
>> design restriction, nevertheless.
>
>The design restriction for mass-market is what people are prepared
>to pay for private transport.

And confiscatory displacement taxes aren't a part of that equation or a
design restraint?? Get real !! Such taxes are nothing more than "social
engineers" trying to act like real ones because somebody was foolish enough
to allow it thus !

 The design restriction for
>professional motorsport is how much money you can screw out of your
>sponsors/financiers on the promise that you'll win by pouring more
>money into the project.

Just as the limit of how much money the above mentioned "social engineers"
can screw out of the public before they get executed !!

>> >EFI is appealing in mass market because it is CHEAP to build,
>> >install and maintain (over the nominal life of the car).
>>
>> No. It is simply the cheapest way to meet emission regs.
>
>It _also_ does that. Buyers demand all the other tangible benefits
>that EFI delivers.

Don't be naive!

>It sucks almost as badly as a carb setup when trying to start and
>drive it when it's cold. There are ways and means of complying with
>cold-start emission requirements. Fast-light cats aided by auxiliary
>air pumps are just two examples.
>
>> >It'll take another 5 to 10 years before direct gasoline injection to
>> >reach the market penetration of port-injection. Partly because of
>> >fleet ageing, partly because of the cost reductions that come with
>> >development.
>>
>> And--the motivating force behind DFI, is, again, regulations. This
>> time mostly CAFE.
>
>So engineers looking to meet customer demands for lower fuel
>consumption with higher performance has nothing to do with it?
>
>CAFE means nothing in EU. How many DI non-EU models are there in the
>USA? Or to put it another way; why are only the Europeans and
>Japanese look like they're actually building cars with direct
>gasoline injection?
>
>Could it be that the US doesn't have suitable fuels available for
>the mass market?
>
>Goodness, if CAFE was so important, shouldn't the government mandate
>availability of suitable fuels? They haven't even ensured that
>low-sulphur diesel fuel is available for clean-burning diesels.
>
>> Speaking of which--DFI is the only thing that can compete with
>> DCOE/IDA carbys in terms of BSFC !!
>
>> Why?? Because it HAS GOT to have good fuel atomization to even function !
>
>And a carb allows subsequent re-condensation; significantly-more
>manifold wetting in mass-market cars than with port injection.
>That's a driveability issue as much as emissions. Emissions bug the
>government; driveability bugs the person actually driving and
>probably owning the car.

>> >Under all nominal operating conditions? On all sorts of cars?
>> >At a price the customer can afford? I very much doubt that.
>>
>> You knew perfectly well I was talking about competition engines in
>> this one. You been taking debating lessons from the greenies or
>> Slick Willie Klinton?? Gotta be one or the other !
>
>No. DCOE is mentioned in the same breath as mass-market. My
>definition of "perform" is also wider than yours.
>
>It's you guys who (never) voted for Slick Willie.

>> >So their chassis design was of no tangible benefit?
>
>> Virtually none, or likely even a negative compared to the
>> competition of their day. I spose you are going to try to tell me
>
>Ahh.. swing axles compared to what Jaguar had?

I must admit a certain fondness for Hotchkiss/leaf spring rears, but to
claim that they are sophisticated is, to say the least, unusual !!

Greg