Mass Market EFI (was: Intake manifold construction, intercoolers)

Bruce nacelp at bright.net
Sat Dec 8 19:02:15 GMT 2001

From: "Jon Davis" <jfdavis at epix.net>
Subject: Re: Mass Market EFI (was: Intake manifold construction,
intercoolers)

> Out of curiosity, Bruce, how do you tune the carbs for things like
> temperature, barometric pressure/altitude,

They work on Bernolli's Principal, so do those comps as a matter of design.

> dirty air cleaner,

That's why they have recommended service intervals.

>varying
> oxygenate content in the fuel, etc?

The fuels are still brewed to be compatible with carbs.   With a feedback
system, your more prone for troubles (when they tamper with the oxygen
content of a fuel), then with something as simple as a carb.   And, in case
you haven't noticed, **they** are making a deliberate effort to brew fuels
that discourage their use in carb'd vehicles, since the spin Dr.s have
convinced so many that EFI is always better then carbs.

> I don't really know what DCOE carbs are,
> are they electronically controlled or something?

No electronics.
Just a fully calibratible (?) devise, unlike Holleys, and a few others that
limit what you can adjust.

Carburetion is a science, and wayyyyy to few people actually bother to try
and understand how they work, so they automaticlly dismissed.   Being newer
can mean better, but it's not a universal truth.
Bruce