Mass Market EFI (was: Intake manifold construction, intercoolers)

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 8 20:36:29 GMT 2001

At 1:06 PM 12/8/01, Jon Davis wrote:
>Interesting conversation!
>
>Out of curiosity, Bruce, how do you tune the carbs for things like
>temperature, barometric pressure/altitude, dirty air cleaner, varying
>oxygenate content in the fuel, etc?

By changing the main jets. Takes less than five minutes on a pair of DCOEs.
Although, replacing a dirty air filter is the recommended procedure for
curing that one in most instances.

 I don't really know what DCOE carbs are,

Not that good at Italian, but DCOE is pretty much an acronym for dual
choke, horizontal, die cast. In that order. (O = Orizontale ???)

>are they electronically controlled or something?

Nope--to quote John Passini, there are three secrets to them. Precision,
precision, and precision.

I would be inclined to add _utterly_uncompromised_ engineering and design
to Mr. Passini's list of qualites, with the exception that some of the
older Weber dual throat side drafts (DCO3's) were  sand cast out of an ally
alloy which was resistant to corrosion by both methanol and nitro methane--
sand cast because said alloy is not particularly friendly to die casting
processes--- Then again, the DCOE's use sealed ball bearings to carry their
throttle shafts, whereas the DCO3's only used good old (replaceable) bronze
bushings--- :-)

Greg