Carburetors and Altitude

efi_student efi.student at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 9 22:09:51 GMT 2001

Never been through the Eisenhower tunnel in Colorado on I-70 I see.  Nor
Wolf Creek Pass.  Both are well over 6,000' above MSL.  My 79 AMX with
its marvelous Stromberg 2 barrel on an I-6 crawled through the
Eisenhower tunnel at 35 mph even with 5 degrees timing advance.  Jetted
down to mains, and flew through at normal driving speeds.  IME
Carburetors have a dismal time compensating for altitude.  I have tuned
both cars and bikes with carburetors for living in Denver after living
in Sacramento.  Sac is about 12' above MSL, Denver is well known as the
mile high city.  Oddly, I needed bigger pilots and smaller mains to work
properly at altitude.  But then again, I was dealing with carburetors of
a lesser design than the Webers.  Mikuni flatslides, Keihin CRs, and the
venerable Stromberg 2bbl are far less advanced.

Lance