diy-wb bar graph display

Peter Gargano peter at techedge.com.au
Sun Dec 9 19:28:41 GMT 2001

David Gregory wrote:

> Also, looking at the prices for LM3914.. man they're steep.  I think you
> could probably get them free from Nat Semi.  However, buying them 100 at a
> time saves over $5 per 4. So i'm wondering if there will be any interest in
> a group buy if the PCB project comes through?  Even a small group buy (~25
> kits) would likely save the particpants $10 each.

Although I'm hesitant to get into this debate, it makes a lot of sense
for someone with PIC experience to design some veeery simple PIC code to
to use a low cost and easily reprogrammable PIC like the 16F84 (US$3.90
from http://www.futurlec.com/ICMicrochip.html ), and an external A/D
converter, and forget the LM3914, which IS overpriced. It would be a snap
to add RS232 as well.

Peter