Autronic ECU and twin-spark

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 10 03:58:52 GMT 2001

At 11:24 AM 12/10/01, Chris Waltham wrote:
>Hi guys,
>
>A friend of mine recently bought an old Ford Escort with a Toyota 3T-GTE
>engine in it.
>It's the twin-spark flavour, turbocharged and non-intercooled. Anyway, it's
>a twin-spark
>engine, however it's been set up with Autronic engine management. Oddly,
>the guy that
>configured the Autronic (not it's owner, or me) didn't bother to set up the
>second
>array of spark plugs/coils and whatnot. So, of course, it's running on 4
>plugs instead
>of 8. I reckon twin-spark working would be rather cool, does anyone have
>any comments
>on why something like Autronic (which I thought to be reasonably powerful)
>wouldn't
>work with it?
>
>cheers,
>

>Chris

I think the Autronic has four outputs suitable for ignition use. No reason
I can think of why you couldn't trigger two plugs with one output--or even
two plugs with different timing if using a maverick spark approach. Might
need to use a separate CD or whatever ignition for each plug (or maverick
pair) --the Autronic drivers might not be up to driving two coils.

Greg