DIY_EFI Digest V5 #924

Clare Snyder clare at snyder.on.ca
Sun Dec 9 23:15:03 GMT 2001

> Apples and Oranges.
>    Aviation stuff is designed to be as fail safe as possible, ie simple.  I
> have yet to see a DCOE (that fact has been edited out) in aviation use, and
> I'd doubt that it was properly tuned to begin with.
Well, there are DCOEs in aviation use, on converted auto engines. SAnd yes, they
are properly tuned.
 >That and the basic
> principal that pilots like to be in total control.

Pilots NEED to be in total control in many cases. A rich carb mixture is less
prone to icing and detonation, so is used for both taleoff and landing (where
either can REALLY spoil your day).
Leaning at altitude gives closer to full power, as well as better economy.
> I've also noticed a far number of aircraft that allow mixture control, but
> ignore ignition.
> The few aircraft carbs, that I've looked at were at best primitive,
> interesting as far as being able to work inverted, but that's all.

Not too many "primitive" aviation carbs are capable of inverted flight. They are
basically just an upside-down tractor carb - but with mixture control.