Sensor Question

Bob - Uni rcs07 at uow.edu.au
Sun Dec 9 23:17:06 GMT 2001

Hello Greg,

GH> I didn't see crank angle on your list.
I was going to use the cam angle for that (actually, I was going to
rip the guts out of a distributor, whack in a chopper wheel and use
an opto setup)

GH> Some others worthy of consideration:

GH> Exhaust back pressure
GH> Atmospheric pressure
GH> Fuel rail pressure
GH> Fuel Temp
GH> EGT
That rail pressure one sounds like the goods, then I could have the
computer adjust for drops/spikes in rail pressure, any recommendations
on the best ones to source?
I hadnt thought about the EGT either. I dont know a heap about what
the EGT indicates, I was under the impression the a high EGT indicates
too far advanced spark or too lean mixutre, is that right? From that,
is the correct compensation to retard spark/richen mixture?
I recall reading an article a while back about a new system that
someone like Audi or Volvo are using where they calculate the EGT
based on the current atmospheric/temp/map/spark etc etc using a
mathematical model they built up, and vary fuel and ignition on that.
Unfortunately, I dont have a link for it, it seemed like an
interesting approach though.

GH> Use a WB O2, _NOT_ just an EGO--and it's often best just to use WBO2 during
GH> tuning only. Saves a lot of money on sensors, allows use of leaded fuels,
GH> etc.
I was following some of the conversation on WB 02 sensors. I was
thinking that I would probably only use the EGO for a closed loop
mode, and not having closed loop operation wouldnt really phase me
much anyway. Any tuning of the car wouldn't be done by me anyway, I
would prefer to get it done by a pro on a dyno (unless any of you felt
like giving a crash course in street tuning).

--
Best regards,
 Bob                            mailto:rcs07 at uow.edu.au