SPAM

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Mon Dec 10 06:57:59 GMT 2001

Bruce tapped away at the keyboard with:
> From: "Bernd Felsche" <bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au>
> Subject: Re: SPAM
> > Bruce tapped away at the keyboard with:
> > > From: "Bernd Felsche" <bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au>
> > > Snippage
> > > You've, got Doc scratching his head over that one.
> > > Drat, and now Bashful is saying, *2+2, IS 3*.

> > In the matter of defamation, that is the law in Australia.

> The act of making false statements,
> and there are no absolute truths.

Has little to do with truth or falsehood.
Proving criminal libel is about establishing injury to the victim.

> All the lil guys are confused on that one.   But again they had an
> entire day of working on EFI stuff.

> > There's a tome on my shelf covering this and other aspects of
> > Australian law.

> One of several volumes, a large book, or a scholarly one?.

IANAL. So I only have the one entitled (appropriately enough)
"The Macquarie Easy Guide to Australian Law". A quick look at the
intro to defamation points out that the libel is entitled to
compensation without direct proof of loss or damage.

Defence against (civil) defamation can be the truth in some States
of Australia, but not in this case.

Criminal libel is another matter. There, your only defence would be
if the truth were also in the public interest.

> There is just so much lost in the translation from Australian to US.

The basis of law in the USA is very different to that of Australian
law. Unfortunately, the opiate of the masses is mis-programmaing
many Australians to the US way of law and justice which not just
creates confusion, but also places the offenders neck-deep in
manure. Even lawyers get confused.