Fuel Atomisation

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 10 03:40:11 GMT 2001

At 10:30 AM 12/10/01, Bernd Felsche wrote:
>Greg Hermann tapped away at the keyboard with:
>> My thought is that air shrouded (or "boosted") injectors would do
>> the deed--and also improve atomization in the bargain--quite
>> admirably.
>
>> The fuel injector could put the fuel into a small "pre-chamber"
>> over a fairly long pulse width, and then compressed air is quite
>> capable of putting it into the port in a highly atomized state
>> quite suddenly.
>
>Sounds oddly like an Orbital patent.
>
>In that, compressed air is used to _shear_ the fuel droplets to
>ultra-fine size.
>
>I'm not at liberty to say any more.

You don't need to. Too bad, I hate to spoil your attempt to sound like you
work for the "agency" !!

I have one of the Orbital injectors for a Mercury Marine DFI 200 outboard
sitting within reach here.

Really, though, it's just too easy to do the same thing with standard parts
and some lathe made bits !

As I recall, Orbital's stuff and patents are intended for use with
DIRECT--not port -- injection.

Different art, as an outhouse lawyer would say.

Besides which--patents don't restrict private, not for profit use of ANY art !!!

(The other side of the intellectual property laws which you and Petie seem
to have so much trouble with!)

Greg