Mass Market EFI (was: Intake manifold construction,

Dave Williams dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us
Mon Dec 10 04:11:19 GMT 2001

-> too far). This implies carbs do not compensate for atmospheric
-> pressure variations.

 My ThermoQuad has an aneroid enrichment system for altitude correction.

 A friend of mine has butted heads with Electromotive several times
about the software for his very expensive (US$ 3,000 or so when he
bought it) EFI.  It only looks at baro on start-up, and he runs the car
at Silver State speed events, which have a substantial difference in
altitude between beginning and end.  He has to program it way rich at
start to prevent leanout at the finish line.

 Your aircraft carburetor example is bogus, in that aircraft carbs are
designed for manual mixture control.  The pilot is expected to know and
set the mixture for idle, takeoff, and cruise, which are the only three
modes an airplane typically runs in.  You could add a bunch of
electronics to do the same thing, but it'd dramatically multiply the
chance of failure, not to mention requiring addition of more electrics
than some light planes have to start with.  All they need is a simple
valve, so that's what they have.  Throwing a few megaflops of
microprocessor at an airplane engine won't improve its performance even
a tiny bit.

==dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us======================================
I've got a secret / I've been hiding / under my skin / | Who are you?
my heart is human / my blood is boiling / my brain IBM |   who, who?