Sensor Question

Bruce nacelp at bright.net
Mon Dec 10 05:44:33 GMT 2001

From: "Bernd Felsche" <bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au>
Subject: Re: Sensor Question
> Bruce tapped away at the keyboard with:
> > From: "Bernd Felsche" <bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au>
> > > There are 8 edges for timing in a 4-cylinder engine using a
> > > hall-effect pickup in a distributor. They are accurately-machined.

> > Might read some of the GM literature on that (hint, training
> > literature on ignition systems).  It's copywritted so I can't
> > mention it directly.
> You just did mention it. Copyright prevents you from making copies
> beyond fair use.
> The GM literture would be similar to the lit. used by Volkswagen and
> hence proprietary? In that case, it's restricted by much more than
> Copyright - you'd have to physically sign an agreement not to
> divulge details before being allowed to see the literature.

So now you are advocating disclosing copywritten material yet when you
mention email, it's a different matter.
Rather then confuse the issue because of your statments, I'll just let
things stand as I first stated them.

> > > Flywheel teeth are not made very accurately.
> > Have you read and compared (from various manufactureres) anything
> > to support those statements, and would make them absolute truths?.
> I'll rely on you as being the font of absolute truth as befits a
> self-appointed deity.

Off on tangents again,

> Machinery design and engineering practice dictate the complexity and
> hence the cost of machining gears. A low-duty, low-load gear
> requires nowhere near the machining accuracy as those inside a
> transmission; the duty cycle is so low, that the ring gear isn't
> even lubricated.

If you had the above referenced materials, you'd see what errors there are
in your assumptions.

> If the machined and worn jitter of tooth signals is of the same
> order as the crank speed variations, then an averaging filter to
> eliminate jitter will also conceal initial crank speed variations.
> On the practical side, Bosch abandoned the idea of using the
> flywheel teeth in deference to a dedicated timing wheel, after
> initial production and trials of Motronic.

So from Bosch's experience you make a generate statement for all
manufacurers, OK, fine.
Bruce