Autronic ECU and twin-spark (and other unlikely ECU tasks)

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Mon Dec 10 07:15:56 GMT 2001

Bruce tapped away at the keyboard with:
> From: "clayb" <clayb at sbcglobal.net>

> > > From: Chris Waltham <chris at harvestroad.com>
> > > Subject: Autronic ECU and twin-spark

> > You can fire all your plugs. However, certain dual plug engines
> > adjust the timing of the two plugs independent from each other.
> > I don't believe the Autronics is programmed to do this.

> Might be noted on some it's an emission strategy.

How so?

GH stated very recently that you want combustion to happen as fast
as possible. Over a large bore, multiple spark locations (or one
very long one) would consume the end-gas more steadily.

First instinct would be that it's a knock-reduction strategy.
i.e. second spark ahead of the flame front so that combustion occurs
at a controlled time. You can ignite later to allow the flame front
to expand into a more-rapidly-increasing cylinder volume.