Autronic ECU and twin-spark

Jorgen Karlsson jorgen.m.karlsson at home.se
Mon Dec 10 13:01:11 GMT 2001

If we assume that both plugs should fire at the same time (pretty safe
assumption) then you would only need to duplicate the ignition used on half
of the plugs now.

If you are lucky enough to have one coil per plug you would only have to
change to waste spark coils and change the coil arrangement setting in the
Autronic. Each waste spark coil should fire one plug in the compression
stroke and one in the exhaust stroke. It will not work well if you use both
ends of the waste spark coil for one cylinder, the spark energy would then
be shared evenly between the plugs. That is not the case if one of the
sparks try to fire a more or less inactive cylinder.

If you already run waste spark you only need to add duplicates of the coils
and coil drivers. No parameter changes would be needed in the Autronic in
this case.

Both are simple modifications, the only reason not to do it is the
additional cost for ignition parts. But since the car was non intercooled I
think that the better distibution of the flame front is god sent.

Jorgen Karlsson
Gothenburg, Sweden.