Fuel Atomisation

Lasse Langwadt Christensen langwadt at ieee.org
Mon Dec 10 19:17:07 GMT 2001

Greg Hermann wrote:

snip
> .. Much
> more radical approaches to peak and hold are also possible. A _REALLY_
> competent, older EE guy once suggested to me that I take a peek at some of
> the print hammer throw circuits that were used in the last and fastest
> electromechanical teletypes and printers !! Apparently some of them were
> using a (very) brief pulse of something on the order of 230 VDC to build
> the flux in the hammer coil _quite_ quickly. Bob felt there was absolutely
> no reason why such technology could not be applied to fuel injectors !!
>
> I rather tend to agree with him, but don't really have the electronic
> espertise to pursue it a lot further!

snip

The same approach has been used for stepper motor drivers, the idea
being
using as high a voltage as they'll take but limit the current to a safe
value.

The simplest way of doing it is to just use a high voltage and a series
resistor to limit the current, in a car it would probably be a good idea
to use something more advanced, e.g. PWM current limiting or switching
between a high and a low voltage, because building a multi ampere,
high voltage supply with 12 volt input is not that simple

-Lasse