WB O2 Success

Neil.Poersch at mts.mb.ca Neil.Poersch at mts.mb.ca
Mon Dec 10 20:39:00 GMT 2001

I finished building my WB O2 unit with the list's circuit board and parts
kits. As suggested I checked it out first with a light bulb in place of the
sensor and everything looked good.  Then fired it up with the sensor in
place and it worked OK.  Thanks again to all the list members who made this
possible.

I read 4.02V in free air with my Fluke DVM.  Drove it down to 0.79V by
flooding the sensor with propane from my plumber's torch (unlit of course).
Then installed it on my carbureted motorcycle after warming the engine up
from the ambient +3C temperature and read 1.82V at idle.........couldn't
road test it under load because of the snow drifts in the way.

Question:  It takes exactly four minutes for the sensor to heat up and the
LED to light.   Is four minutes heating time typical?  This is a bit too
long for my liking.  I assume that there is a need to control the rate of
heating the sensor or else we wouldn't have the elaborate heater power
supply.   I would like to shorten the heating time if possible.  Any
comments on what the effect of shortening the heating time would be?

Thanks,
Neil