Reasonably priced at 2 million dollars??

Bob - Uni rcs07 at uow.edu.au
Tue Dec 11 03:37:09 GMT 2001

Hello efi_student,

Check out this MPEG of a seriously mental supra packing 900hp:
http://www.japanesemotorsport.com.au/supra.mpg

e> So the idea is a car available from an aftermarket tuner?  You guys
e> don't read much about imports.  There's an entire site devoted to late
e> model Toyota Supras that all make 650+ hp from 3 liters www.to4r.com and
e> most of these guys are using completely stock internals.  Of course,
e> Toyota uses that EPA mandated DOHC and 4 valves per cylinder.  Kinda
e> reminds me of the days when the GN first hit the streets and a lot of
e> the V-8 guys were furious at being beaten by a little V-6.  I might add
e> there are some GNs out there that accelerate at alarming rates too.  All
e> for a lot less than either of the cars you linked to.

e> And as amazing as it sounds, a Toyota Supra pulled 0.98g in C&D, Motor
e> Trend, and R&T, absolutely bone stock in 1993.  Motor Trend proclaimed
e> this same car "the best stopping car we have tested in the last 30
e> years" after repeated 60-0 stops in 116 ft.  It also bested the ZR-1
e> according to the same magazines in 1993, a car that cost 50% more.  The
e> late model Supra was the benchmark for C-5 development, and even has
e> received top honors for reliability in the premium sports car class.
e> Enough chest pounding.

e> Suffice it to say, if you are going to start talking about "tuned" cars
e> regardless of the developer, you are comparing apples and oranges.
e> That's no different than saying the Bugatti, Porsche GT-1, or Mercedes
e> CLK are not reasonably priced for the average human.  I sure wouldn't
e> spend almost $50k in modifications after coughing up the requisite
e> $40somethingK for the base car.  I'd have been a lot more agreeable had
e> you said the Z-06 Corvette, despite some quality problems, it is an
e> exceptionally capable automobile that is certainly reasonably
e> affordable, and meets all the other requirements of a fully DOT and EPA
e> compliant street vehicle.  Stock for stock, I don't think there is
e> anything out there that is as capable at a reasonable price.  As in all
e> cases, YMMV.

e> Lance

e> -----Original Message-----
e> From: owner-diy_efi at diy-efi.org [mailto:owner-diy_efi at diy-efi.org] On
e> Behalf Of Shannen Durphey
e> Sent: Monday, December 10, 2001 4:10 PM
e> To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org
e> Subject: Re: Reasonably priced at 2 million dollars??

e> Mos wrote:

>> On Sat, 8 Dec 2001, Shannen Durphey wrote:
>>
>> > Care to make a guess as to which vehicle?
>>
>> At the risk of beginning another tangent; no, no guess.
e>     : )

>> I don't live in
>> the US and consequently have no idea what that vehicle is.
>>
>> Mos.
>>
>> PS. Yes, I would like to know. URLs of specs would be nice too please.

e> Sorry for the Dee-lay.
e> The car:
e> http://www.lingenfelter.com/packages/427TT.htm

e> An article about it's little brother:
e> http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/roadtests/2000/May/200005_ro
e> adtest_kngsn.xml?keywords=lingenfelter%20corvette

e> (all one URL)

e> There's a fair amount more reading material that can be found with
e> search
e> engines.
e> Shannen
e> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
e> ----
e> To unsubscribe from diy_efi, send "unsubscribe diy_efi" (without the
e> quotes)
e> in the body of a message (not the subject) to
e> majordomo at lists.diy-efi.org

e> To unsubscribe from diy_efi, send "unsubscribe diy_efi" (without the quotes)
e> in the body of a message (not the subject) to majordomo at lists.diy-efi.org

--
Best regards,
 Bob                            mailto:rcs07 at uow.edu.au