turbo SBC's... was RE: Thanks for the EFI! (off topic)

Andris Skulte skulte at skulte.com
Tue Dec 11 05:05:42 GMT 2001

> I'd be interested in what you are doing with your engine. Any details?

So far the plan is to build a bulletproof 350ish engine. It'll be from
either a Dart or Bowtie block, 6.125" rods, 3.48 stroke ex-NASCAR crank
possibly (or Cola or Callies, some sub $1k crank), 4.000 bore, heads with
around 210cc intake runners (AFR, Canfield, Victor Jr's), 8.5:1 compression
and cam specs based partially on the current engines backpressure vs boost
characteristics (measured when I strap this tired mule to the dyno - will be
fairly mild with duration), and some custom JE/Venolia/KB pistons.

My reasoning is to make a reliable, build it once road racing/street fun
engine. I still am considering a 377, but I like the detonation resistance a
smaller bore gives you. The question of the hour is whether I'll make more
power unshrouding the valves with the larger bore and less boost. I'm
planning on going to about .035 quench, but some folks more experienced than
I claim that a quench that tight really disturbs the flame front travel at
TDC. To knock down compression, I plan on mirroring the combustion chamber
shape in the piston, since this should give you the fastest burn time. Some
words of wisdom from the previously mentioned turbo folks suggest going with
a plain 'ole open bowl piston, but again I'm having a hard time convincing
myself that that's the way to go, when the collective theory based knowledge
usually says to go with a tight quench and small dish.

Any thoughts or comments before I'm committed to building it? Thanks!