WB assembly help

Phil Hunter ilphayunterhay at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 11 08:06:00 GMT 2001

> I guess I can state my question more simply - I
> only have 1 cap marked .1uf 25V, but C2 and C8 each
> call for it.  I have 4 little caps marked 104 C5K,
> which I assume are the .1uf 12V variety, but only
> three spots for them (C9, C13, C14).  Is my parts
> kit a little off, or does one little cap sub for
> one big one?

I had the same question/confusion, on the schematic
C2 is labeled as a "disc" capacitor, it's the flat
circular cap about 3/8" diameter ( 10mm if I do my
metric conversion correctly ). By the process of
elimination, C8 is the fourth "monolithic" cap, yes
the 12V rating is a little low, I'm not worried about
it but if you are you can substitute a 0.1uF disc cap
w/ a voltage rating over 18V, since the D9 zener diode
will "clamp" the input voltage to 18V. In most cases
C8 will see from 12.6 to 13.8V, so it should do fine
as is.

I think Bruce P. was the first to mention this, watch
the placement of C7 & C10 so the leads don't short
to the traces running underneath them. I positioned
my caps so the gap between the leads is centered
over the trace, alternatively you can put a square
of electrical tape under the caps or insulating
sleeves such as heat shrink tubing over the leads.

> Also, what's the best/safest way for me to test my
> board before hooking up a sensor.

As has been mentioned before, consider using a brake
light bulb to simulate the sensor's heater.

regards,
phil