Photoelectric timing gates

James Ballenger vtjballeng at yifan.net
Tue Dec 11 06:44:43 GMT 2001

	Ok, this is a pretty basic question but I am on a time and money budget so
I could use the help.  I have used a timing gate system that used a
reflector, a box, and a cheap lap timer in the past that was quite good at
recording lap times.

	I would like to do something similar and here are the specifications I
desire:

	* Timing accurate to at least .1 seconds (preferably 	.001 seconds)

	* Lap time output display that displays individual lap times as opposed to
the sum of all previous lap times

	* Less than $50 total component cost

	* A possible lap time recording function/output function so that I can
upload it to my laptop via a 	windaq or other equivalent system (a bonus
feature if this can be kept under $50 cost)

	* an easily visible output display of some sort, can be a stopwatch or
anything else so long as it works and displays individual lap times

	* high reliability ( I assume a photoelectric led setup with a non-visible
frequency will work fine)

And yes, for you hardcore diy guys, I am asking for someone to tell me how
to do this because I don't know where to begin.  This is the sort of project
that I hope will ease me into the realm of basic diy circuit design that
will allow me to proceed further in the future.  So the bottom line, what is
the easiest, simplest, and cheapest method to implement a project of this
sort or where might I look for some direction?

Thanks,
James Ballenger