Datalogging RPM signal

Stephen Andersen SAndersen at advan-tek.com
Tue Dec 11 22:03:35 GMT 2001

Okay, I will reply to myself since after doing some research,
I am back to DIY mode.

The LabJack USB data acq unit DOES have a counter, but none of the
canned software you get with it supports it at reasonable sample rates.

Someone had mentioned taking a square wave rpm signal, and turning it
into an analog voltage using an LM2917 or somesuch and some wiring.
Can anyone provide me with some insight (or preferably DETAILED instructions
;) on how to do this?

I will still need to do some programming to get maximum sample rate
on about 6 signals, but with the built in counter, I am limited to
2 samples/sec which is not nearly adequate.  With the counter and custom
software I can probably get 16 samples/sec, but with the rpm as an analog
voltage I can get 25 samples/second with 6 channels...

Any input?  Offline is fine if no-one on the list is interested...

Thanks,
Steve