Shock Sensor Question

steve ravet sravet at arm.com
Tue Dec 11 17:25:26 GMT 2001

all electronics usually has a good selection of surplus DC motors (they
have a stepper attached to an iris -- there's a great project lurking
there somewhere).  Prices for these small motors is usually in the
$1-$20 range.  They currently only show one with an encoder.  It's a 40
RPM gear motor which means you probably can't turn the shaft by hand, so
you'd have to separate the encoder from the motor.  Below are some URLs
for surplus electronics places that you might want to have a look at :

http://www.allelectronics.com
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=400&item=DCM-174&type=store
http://www.eio.com/
http://www.halted.com/
http://www.falls.igs.net/~testequipment/
http://www.bgmicro.com/index.htm
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/welcome.jhtml

The comment about having to accurately count pulses was right on, but
that may not be too big of an issue for 1/4 mile.  The idea of
investigating what the manufacturers used for ride control was a good
one, I think I'd look into that before using this encoder idea.

--steve

--
Steve Ravet
steve.ravet at arm.com