Shock Sensor Question

Steve.Flanagan at VerizonWireless.com Steve.Flanagan at VerizonWireless.com
Wed Dec 12 20:14:53 GMT 2001

Application is to monitor the shocks on our 1/4 mile car.  This way I can
determine if I need an adjustment based on how the car is launching and
driving down track.

We can adjust both compression and extension of the shock, so it would be
nice to see how the adjustments actually effect performance.  Tuning the
start line reaction of a chassis is critical to maximizing the performance.

sf

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Dessent [mailto:brian at dessent.net]
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2001 5:14 AM
To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org
Subject: Re: Shock Sensor Question

Steve.Flanagan at VerizonWireless.com wrote:

> Anyone have a brainstorm of an inexpensive shock sensor.

How about a rotary (optical, potentiometer, whatever) encoder at the
hinge where a control arm attaches to the chassis?  What is the
application anyway?  Sensing acceleration of the unsprung mass would be
much more rugged and wideband, just epoxy a good accelerometer to a
convenient place on the suspension.

Brian