Which WB O2 sensor is OK and Wiring Qs

efi_student efi.student at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 13 02:00:17 GMT 2001

I've been researching this a little, Napa lists the Echlin ECHOS729 for
the '96 and later Civic HX 1.6l auto, that is one of the known good
units from previous posts.  I went to a Honda parts site
www.hondaautomotiveparts.com and determined that Honda has two
equivalent sensors for this engine, and there are no notes to indicate
that one is different from the other.  The same two parts end up on the
parts breakdown on the Civic VX for reasons that are not clear.  The
Partsbin seems confident that the Oxygen Sensor OE Connector C5010-88818
Bosch is an equivalent, so on a small gamble, I ordered one.  If it ends
up being wrong, I'll just exchange it for the one well known to be
correct.  It is rather hard to imagine a UEGO sensor of any kind for
only $57.60, delivered to the door.  Since I am still patiently waiting
for my parts kits, I have time to spare...

Another question about the actual construction of the kit.  The wiring
from the box to the sensor isn't specified, so I am curious what lengths
have been tested and since I am building a few, I figure it would be
best to get something on a decent sized roll to save expenses.  Would a
sheathed 8 conductor 18 ga about 15' long with Beldfoil (or equivalent)
be too much?  Is anyone having noise issues?  Is this an experiment and
report back to the list item (that's fine, I'll do it, just don't want
to reinvent the wheel here)?

Lance