Sensor Question (and the usefulness of cam sensors)

clayb clayb at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 14 08:19:54 GMT 2001

> Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 08:36:33 -0500
> From: "Bruce" <nacelp at bright.net>
> Subject: Re: Sensor Question (and the usefulness of cam sensors)
>
> When you get to worring about Better, it's easy to loose track of what's
> actually needed, and practical.   Heck even if you use a crank posistion
> sensor reading directly off of a counter weight, the is some crank flex so
> there will be a timing error, from one cylinder to another.  Heck even the
> block distorts some.
> Bruce
>   Firmly rooted in actually making mechanical noise to test something

I agree on the mechanical noises required to test.

That said, I've found that cam triggering of ignition is definitely
inferior, especially when a timing chain is involved. With a distributor
firing my turbo 454, timing would bounce at least 5 degrees, while the
distributorless ignition stays rock steady.

There can be no doubt this has an impact on my ability to tune near the
edge of detonation.

- Clay