DIY_WB Data logging?

The Punisher punisher454 at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 15 21:35:49 GMT 2001

You can get flash pic chips that run at 20MHZ for around $5.00-8.00US. Then
an EPIC programmer from Micro Engineering Labs for about 50 bucks(I think I
payed 59.00 3 years ago) and make youre own ICSP(in circuit serial
programming) cable (made mine from scraps in about :30). Write youre code in
assembly for free, or get Micro Engineering Labs "Pic Basic Compiler" for 99
bucks(250 for the full tilt pro edition) and do it the easy way in basic
(this compiler optimizes very well, you wont loose much speed over hand
assembly). A compiled program like this will run tens to hundred times
faster than interpeted code like on a stamp.
The 16f877 is popular and inexpensive. It has 8k of code space, 368 bytes
ram, and 256 bytes of eeprom on the chip. The only external components
needed would be a 5 volt regulator, a crystal, 2 cap's(to help the crystal
oscillate), and a couple resistors. It has multichannel AD converter built
in(8 channels IIRC). You could VERY easly acomplish youre datalogging and
display on an inexpensive LCD display (2x16,2x20 and 4x20 are common). for
extra data storage you could get a serial eeprom (I2C bus is built in just
for this).
If youre going to build just one unit and dont need high speed the stamp is
a bit cheaper. but not MUCH easier. After the second or third stamp purchase
then the compiled pic is more cost effective(and still way more powerfull).
At least thats been My experience with Embedded controllers.