Sensor Question (and the usefulness of cam sensors)

efi_student efi.student at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 17 07:07:13 GMT 2001

My dad builds circle track engines and relayed a story to me that might
shed some light here.  He built 2 SBCs for different competitors, and
they were nearly identical.  At the end of the season he got them back
for freshen up.  One had the timing chain and sprockets nearly beaten to
death, the other was practically brand new.  His investigation showed
only one difference between the two engines worth noting.  They had
different main bearing in them.  One set had an abrupt stop to the
center groove on the top bearing where the top bearing met the lower
shell.  The other had a smooth ramp from full depth on the groove to the
height of the lower shell.  He surmised, and I agree, that the abrupt
transition was causing a hydraulic shock in the oiling system.  Of
course, the oil pump is driven by the cam, so this shock was being
loaded into the timing chain and causing it to stutter and whiplash.  He
has since abandoned that style of bearings and has not had the problem
since.  Something like that could certainly cause the conditions that
Clayb described.

Lance