Maximum Piston Speed

skulte skulte at skulte.com
Thu Dec 20 01:04:19 GMT 2001

> > the primary problem with high piston speed on US designed engines.  As it
> > turns out the maximum piston speed is at the same point that maximum
> torque
> > is being transferred to the crankshaft.

Not really. Max torque is a combination of cylinder pressure and crank
angle. You should see max cyl pressure somewhere near 10 degrees after
TDC. Max crank angle will be closer to 90 degrees, where the pressure has
gone down by orders of magnitude. Max instantaneuous piston speed will
always be roughly halfway between TDC and BDC. That's not what you should
be concerned about. The max acceleration forces put the force on the
rotating assembly, which is what you should  be designing for, based on
RPM and torque expected. The piston speed shouldn't have anything to do
with ring sealing. It's the flutter at the top of the stroke, as the
piston begins to come back down. Just my 2 cents..