[EFI] RE: PWM an electromagnetic (A/C) clutch?

Bruce nacelp at bright.net
Thu Dec 20 08:38:09 GMT 2001

From: "Daniel Houlton" <houlster at user1.inficad.com>
> Biggest thing though, is that no prom will change the boost from
> a supercharger.  It's controlled by the pulley ratio.  But, if
> you could PWM a clutch on the SC pulley, you could contol slip
> to get, in effect, different ratios and lower boost.  I'm not
> trying to get a valet mode here.  I'm trying to see if I can
> lower boost on demand without changing pulleys.

Try bleeding off the boost, ie large air bleed that is well dampened.
Maybe set up one BOV for X amount of boost, and use several.
How about a clue for how much boost your wanting to bleed off.

> What I'm wondering is if anyone has any idea how the clutch
> would react.  PWM'ing it would be kinda like controlled slip
> in the clutch.  Just wondering if it would last very long, or
> if the coil would burn out or what.  I thought maybe somebody's
> tried something similar before.
> --Dan
> houlster at inficad.com

A/C is just a couple HP, and they eat clutchs.  It would take a huge electro
clutch, maybe just using filings for the engagement, but your looking at
alot of R+D.
Bruce